5 Things That are Poisonous to your Pets

5 Things That are Poisonous to your Pets

| 4 Comments

We sadly lost one of our beautiful cats, Luna, a few weeks ago. Well, we didn’t lose her, she was poisoned. As our neighbours cat died the same way a little while ago, we are afraid that it was deliberate. How anyone could do this is beyond belief to me, but it has got me thinking about things that are poisonous to your pets that you might not realise….

5 Things That are Poisonous to your Pets

  1. Daffodils. The bulbs are severely toxic and can cause cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression if digested, but every part of the plant is poisonous to dogs and cats. The flowers contain a poison that can cause vomiting.
  2. Chocolate and cocoa in any form is highly toxic for dogs and cats. They both contain caffeine and a natural stimulant called theobromine which are both toxic to them.
  3. Onions and garlic. They both contain thiosulphate which can damage their red blood cells.
  4. Grapes and raisins. Even small amounts can result in lethargy, shivers and a decreased appetite. In severs cases, grape poisoning can cause kidney failure and even death.
  5. Cherries are toxic to dogs and cats, with symptoms including dilated pupils, breathing problems shock or even death. Beware of cherry trees and shrubs as well. With the exception of the ripe pulp around the seeds, these plants are poisonous to pets, as the non-pulp parts contain cyanide.

I have also heard from several people that poison has been found on popular dog walking routes, I have no words as to how anybody could stoop so low as to poison an animal. Luna was a much loved pet, part of our family. She was always in at nights and didn’t go out that much really, but she still managed to get poisoned. I hope this post will raise awareness of things that are poisonous to your pets and prevent your furry friend suffering.

4 Comments

  1. I knew about chocolate being dangerous for your pets but I’m surprised to read about garlic and onions as I thought it would be good for their blood not bad. Thanks for the awareness!

  2. Are they applicable for birds? I know that raisins are a rich source of energy and vitamin for wild birds.
    Mohammed Ismail recently posted…Kaytee Bird Feeder ReviewMy Profile

  3. Never realised cherries were harmful thanks

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.


CommentLuv badge