Mummy says…. Last year we had our first real Christmas Tree in years – and Pickle’s first ever real one. It was a stunner – nothing quite looks or smells like a real Christmas Tree. It can be tricky to know which tree to buy though, and how to look after it. I have some top tips to help you…
First of all, which tree should you go for? These are three of the most popular, widely available varieties:
Wonderful shape and lots of branches.
Lovely ‘Christmassy’ smell.
The perfect classic looking Christmas Tree.
Soft foliage and a nice even shape.
Glossy dark green needles.
Perfect for families with young children as needles are soft.
These are bigger trees needing more room. A 6ft tall tree will need around a 5ft wide space.
Lovely and bushy with long needles.
The branches point upwards and have a real pine scent.
These trees have the best needle retention of all – perfect for longer celebrations!
Now you have picked your perfect real Christmas Tree, here are some tips to look after it and keep it looking it’s best:
- Buy a tree as freshly cut as possible from a local nursery or garden centre. Or cut your own if at all possible.
- Cut off at least 2.5 cm off the bottom of the trunk.
- Place your tree in a proper tree stand with water in the base.
- Stand your tree away from radiators and fires, dry and cool if possible.
- Water your tree regularly to keep the bottom of the trunk covered.
And did you know that real trees use 10 times fewer materials and less energy than artificial trees and they are completely biodegradable. For more information, pop over to www.nationalresourceswales.gov.uk
So do you have a real Christmas Tree?