As you must know by now, I am three! It is four years ago this month that Mummy became pregnant with me – after a HUGE gap of ten years! She had to buy everything for me, which was rather lovely, and we would like to share with you our top ten baby essentials. This is what I needed when I was a newborn baby:
- Baby Grows or Romper suits. Mummy bought me the first size, and I only fitted in them literally for a day! Buy at least 0-3 months unless you know baby is weeny.
- Nappies – disposable or cloth. Buy a packet or a couple a week in later pregnancy to spread the cost.
- Baby Vests – unless it is really hot. I liked being snug and the vest helped keep my nappy snug too.
- Blanket – cotton, non holey otherwise my tiny fingers would get caught in the holes. A few lighter ones are better than a heavy one. I liked being swaddled, or wrapped up quite tightly in mine. I couldn’t regulate my own body heat, so Mummy had to be careful that I didn’t overheat.
- A crib – yes, I only slept in mine for 9 weeks, but I felt very secure and cosy in it. Mummy took it downstairs in the daytime so I could nap in it too.
- A car seat – don’t forget to take it to hospital with you – I wasn’t allowed home in the car without it!
- A pushchair or pram. There are SO many to choose from. Jot down what you want from yours, how will you use it? Mostly in the car and around town, or do you walk everywhere? A baby sling was also a great option for getting me out and about.
- A hat. A warm one in colder months – I could have lost a lot of heat through my head, and a cotton sun hat in the sunny months – my head mustn’t have been in the direct sunlight.
- If bottle feeding, bottles, formula, steriliser. Mummy had vari flow teats for me so I could regulate the flow of milk, and carried on feeding me my milk at room temperature as they did in the hospital. This was far less hassle than having to warm it up. If breast feeding don’t forget baby will also need a drink of water too when they start weaning.
- A decent changing bag to put all my stuff in. Never forget spare clothes and nappies.
Shop around for the best prices and deals, somewhere like Online4Baby has loads of products from loads of brands at discount prices, with a Price Match Promise, free 24hour delivery and more.
Our top ten baby essentials doesn’t cover everything you will need, they are the things that we couldn’t have done without when I first arrived. What would you add?