Mummy says… I am loving my new car, I finally managed to sort one out a couple of months ago, and whilst it is not brand new, it is new to me. It is a Peugeot 5008 and I absolutely love it. I have been thinking about summer car maintenance ahead of the summer holidays, and have some tips to share…
I tend to think of looking after my car more in the winter months, but summer car maintenance is just as important. I hope these help you:
- Air Conditioning Recharge and Service to keep you comfortable and cool during the hot weather.Your cars air-conditioning system can lose up to 15% of its refrigerant every year, which can seriously affect the performance of the system, and can also damage the components of the an air conditioning unit. If you don’t use your air conditioning the seals can dry up. Regular air conditioning system servicing makes sure the system is full of refrigerant, that there are no leaks, and that the seals and pipes are all in full working order. Jet Wheel Tyre offers air conditioning service at their Benfleet branch.
- Coolant check. It shouldn’t be necessary to top up the radiator coolant in modern cars, but it is worth checking the levels. There is a simple guide on the Dummies website.
- Tyres. They need checking all year round, obviously, but if you are planning a summer holiday road trip then make sure you double check the tread depth before you head off.
- Wheel Alignment – you should have your wheel alignment checked every 12,000 – 15,000 miles or once a year. If your front wheels are out of alignment it will cause increased tyre wear and poor handling. It also reduces braking efficiency and cornering stability. If your rear wheels are out of alignment it will cause the same problems as the front and will also cause the car to steer or pull to the left or right which could be extremely dangerous.
- Check your breakdown cover – if you are like me, you will probably be travelling more by car this summer, and further afield than you normally go. It is a really good idea to have some breakdown cover – I am with Green Flag as I found them a lot cheaper than other providers and their service has been excellent. They claim to offer a 50% discount on AA or RAC quotes (check the Green Flag website for exact details and T&C’s).
Tell me if you have any road trips planned this summer – I hope my summer car maintenance tips help!