Mummy says….I don’t know about you, but I am definitely feeling a nip in the air and have had to pop the heating on a couple of times already. I am already looking for tips to keep warm this winter, and thought you might be interested too.
We all need to save money where we can don’t we, especially at this time of the year with – you know what – around the corner. I also have Pickles birthday next month and my youngest daughter celebrates her 18th Birthday in December so it is a pretty expensive time for me.
So, how can we keep warm this winter and hopefully save some pennies too….
- Windows are the biggest source of heat loss in a room, so if you can, make sure you have double or triple glazing. You will realise when to go from double to triple glazing if you are not feeling much benefit – you may live in a very old house, or live in a particularly exposed spot. Triple glazing gives you much better insulation, allowing minimum heat loss from inside, as well as solar gain – warmth from the sun in.
- If your budget can’t stretch to upgrading your windows, or you live in a rented property then even fitting a film over your windows will at least prevent some heat loss.
- Use draft excluders behind your doors.
- Make your living room cosy for winter with some throws. I find that when I am settled in there for the evening, or when working during the day I may get chilly, but don’t need to heat the whole house. Snuggling under a throw is perfect!
- Even when it is really cold, I never have the heating on through the night. Once we are all in bed we soon warm up. A hot water bottle or wheat heat bag popped in the bed soon warms it up before I get in.
PIN FOR LATER
We do usually have quite mild winters here in West Wales, fingers crossed you do too. Do you have any tips to share to keep warm this winter?