Pickle says…Mummy is very lucky, me and my brother and sisters have all been really good sleepers from being just weeks old. She does suffer getting to sleep sometimes herself though, she suffers with a bad back at times following a bad fall a few years ago. As a holistic therapist she has helped lots of people over the years with lots of problems and has some great natural tips for better sleep.’
So, what can you do to help yourself have a better nights sleep?
- If possible, open a window just a little. If this will let a lot of noise into the room (from a road for example), then open it until just before you go to bed.
- Keep a notepad and pen next to the bed. If you find your mind just full of stuff, then jot it all down. All of it – ideas, reminders, all of it. It really does help to clear your head.
- Lavender Oil is the gentlest of oils and truly aids restful sleep. Try a couple of drops on a cotton handkerchief tucked into your pillow case.
- Try mindfulness as you lie in bed. Focus only on the present moment. Tune into yourself and what you can feel – the mattress supporting you, the duvet over you, the gentle breeze from the window – notice everything. Breath in and really smell the lavender, and notice any other smells. Focusing on the present moment stops worrying about the past or future – it can take a little practice though.
- Limit drinks and snacks before you go to bed. As you get older it is harder to get through the night without waking for the loo, or the heartburn after that cheese on toast!
There are lots of other tips in this Adjustamatic video for a better nights sleep too – especially if you suffer with a bad back.
Do you have trouble sleeping? We hope these natural tips for better sleep help you. What else helps you when you are suffering, we would love to hear.