‘We have three teens in our family, and they spend a huge amount of time on line. They join social networks using their devices, interact with strangers, stumble across inappropriate content and goodness knows what. This can make them vulnerable to being influenced and can possibly affect their abilities to separate reality from the make-believe, especially the younger teen. I have been looking at Parental Controls for Teens.
Since most teens are very impressionable, their access to questionable content, toxic messages and other media forms they haven’t the maturity to process, should be monitored and mentored as it can lead to a significant increase in social problems such as adolescent sexual behaviour, cyber bullying, violence and other forms of psychological and social stress. As a mother, I am keen to moderate my teens digital diet and detoxify them from an excessive intake. For both these options I want a solution and one solution is setting up parental controls.
How Can I Set Parental Controls?
I can install the popular FamilyTime app on my teens phone. This app empowers me as a parent to take control over my teens devices while monitoring all their activities not just on line but offline too.
The FamilyTime App offers Web Monitoring, to allow me to monitor my teens’ web behaviour. I can:
- Check browsing history with the date and time stamps
- View bookmarks and favorites
- Keep an eye on most visited sites
It also offers Mobile Monitoring so I can also see the use of the device. With the app I can:
- Check the call logs and see who they connect with
- View contacts with additional details
- Watchlist suspicious contacts
- Check the list of apps installed on their device
- Check app usage frequency
- Blacklist unwanted or questionable apps
Another feature of the app is Location Tracking that lets me:
- Check current location of my teens on the virtual map
- Track where they have been all day long with the location details and the time stamps.
- Geo-fence places to receive automated check in and check out alerts.
- Receive panic alerts along with location
- Receive PickMeUp alerts with the location details
By being savvy and installing an app such as FamilyTime, I can make sure they don’t exceed their average tech use or consume inappropriate content out there. This one smart step can save them from many hazards so consider using parental controls to help keep your teen healthy!
As with most things these days, it is not usually about not trusting your own children, but doing all you can to keep them safe from other unsavoury people and content out there. I can’t stop my teens interacting on line, nor would I want to, but I will do all I can to keep them safe.