I like most fruits and vegetables.
I am getting a little more fussy as I get older, but, generally I do eat well.
I have a weakness for chocolate – especially Kinder Eggs ( I blame YouTube for all the unwrappings vids;) ), but Mummy refuses to let me have sweets and crisps as my bro and sisters do.
Trouble is, I am a toddler, and one of the most toddlery things I do is to copy other people – and who do I copy most? Big bro and sisters!
So – I want to eat sweets and crisps, just like they do.
Mummy has hunted, and hunted every shop and supermarket, checking labels and packets to see exactly what is inside the many ‘healthy’ alternative snacks aimed at tots like me.
This is what she has found:
1. Do not be fooled by claims such as ‘Made with real fruit’ – yes, I am sure they are, but there can be a whole lot of horrible stuff in there as well.
2. A lot of snacks state ‘No artificial colours / flavours / preservatives’ etc and this makes you think ‘Oh great, they re full of goodness then!’ Wrong! The label still needs carefully checking.
3. Be aware of anything yoghurt coated – it means additional sugar, and is really not needed.
4. Look out for what looks like simply fruit – apricots are a classic one. They are preserved in Sulphur Dioxide to keep their colour! And this destroys the natural goodness in the fruit- madness!
So, what are the best healthy alternatives to sweets and crisps out there?
All these are made with 100% natural ingredients – no added sugar, salt, additives, preservatives or junk of any kind. In no particular order –
1. Organix Goodies Puffs – very similar to a famous cheesy puff, but so much healthier for me.
2. Urban Fruit – our first natural fruit discovery. Just fruit, gently baked – simple but genius!
3. Cow & Gate Fruit Pouches – 100% fruit – so handy to keep in for days when fresh fruit has run out!
4. Fruit Heroes – pure natural ingredients, no junk. In a funky bar which I love.
5. Ella’s Kitchen – they have it all covered from fruity snacks to veggie pouches, biscuits and more. Totally natural and Organic too.
There are other brands who offer great snacks too – Bear is another one we love. We are sharing what we have found out – apologies if we have got anything wrong. There is no substitute for fresh fruit and veg, but these are a great healthy option when I want to be like my older siblings!
What healthy snacks do you have?