I had a fantastic appetite. I ate everything Mummy gave me. She cooked all my food herself, and from very early on I had all fruits and vegetables, then chicken, cod and salmon. I have never been keen on beef.
I am still teething – I only have 13 teeth and I am two and a half! I am usually a bit poorly when I am teething, I get a stinky cold, and I go off my food.
Mummy used to worry terribly – scared that I wouldn’t get my appetite back. It sometimes takes a while, but Mummy has learnt a few tricks to try and keep me eating healthily until my appetite comes back.
Oh, I am still kind of lactose intolerant – I do tolerate dairy products such as small fromage frais and cheese, but I do not drink ordinary cows milk – I have Lactofree. It is full cows milk, with no lactose.
So, here our Mummy’s tips …
1. If I have a cold, bananas can make me gag, their texture is not good with a snotty cold. Sorry about that, but its not! Little satsumas are great, and full of Vitamin C to help fight a cold.
2. Blueberries. I love them. Sweet, juicy and full of antioxidants.
3. I LOVE baked, or dried fruits. Mummy does not give me any sweeties at all, but these 100% natural little beauties are delicious, there are a few brands like Urban Fruit, the Bear range and others. I think I am having sweeties like big bro and sis.
4. Even if a packet says ‘made with real fruit’ or ‘no added sugar’, check. The amount of added ‘stuff’ in some foods and snacks is unbelievable.
5. Hovis Best of Both bread contains calcium too! When I was seeing a Dietician, she recommended it as the only bread with calcium.
6. Ready Brek (or Tesco Instant Hot Oat Cereal) cereal also has added calcium. And vitamins and minerals, but nothing extra.
7. Birdseye cod fishfingers have a 100% natural coating, with no junk, and 100% cod.
8. As a treat – if I have chippies, Mummy buys oven ones with only potato and sunflower oil. NOTHING extra added 🙂 Tesco Value ones are a good example.
9. Avocados are literally a super super-fruit. Jam packed full of natural goodness. I don’t want them sometimes, so Mummy adds a little pear too. She thinks I don’t know about it 😉 When I was younger, she mashed them together, now she hides the avocado on the fork behind the pear. Yes Mummy, I do see it! She also tells me it is what makes Hulk green – he eats it. That does usually work!
11. There are mini tins of Disney shaped pasta which have one of my 5 a day, with no added junk. Useful as a stand by, with baked potato and peas.
12. Mummy gives me some peas or carrots or other vegetables with most things. Pasta, chips, potato, even cheese.
I used to have an incredibly sensitive tummy, so Mummy has always had to be extra careful about what I eat. When I am eating normally. I love my chicken, veg, proper dinners, eggs etc, these tips are to keep me eating healthy when my appetite dips. Don’t forget, please don’t worry, us tots usually get our full appetite back.