Looking for a fun and festive cake topper for your Christmas bakes this year? Try a rockin’ robin made from ready to roll icing.
How To Make A Robin Cake Topper With Ready To Roll Icing
Are you looking for a fun way to liven up your Christmas cake? Why not try your hand at a robin cake topper made from ready to roll icing. They’re easy to make and a fab festive touch to any cake.
Ingredients For Your Ready To Roll Icing Robin
To make these cute robin toppers you’ll need the following:
- Red ready to roll icing
- Brown ready to roll icing
- White ready to roll icing
- Yellow ready to roll icing
- White royal icing
Making Your Robin Cake Topper
Before you begin making your robin, boil some water and put it into a bowl to cool. You’ll be using this to fix the parts of the robin together. Dust your work surface with icing sugar to ensure your icing doesn’t stick.
- Take your brown ready to roll icing and knead it until pliable. Break off a portion and roll it into a ball. This is the body for your robin.
- Take another small piece of brown icing and divide it into two.
- Roll each piece into a ball and then flatten on your work surface into a wing shape.
- Brush some cooled boiled water onto each wing and fix them to the body. Hold each in place until it sets.
- Next, take some red ready to roll icing and work it in your hands and on the work surface until pliable.
- Pinch off a small amount and roll it into a ball then flatten it into a circle. This is the red breast. Glue it to the body using some water.
- Now make the hat. Take a piece of red icing and roll it into a ball. Then using your finger and thumb gently roll it into a cone shape at one end. Bend the cone over until it rests against the body of the hat.
- Get your white ready to roll icing and roll a small ball for the bobble. Stipple the surface with a fine, wire brush to give it a woolly texture.
- Roll another small ball of white icing and flatten it into a disc. Stipple the edges to create the base of the hat.
- Glue the bobble and base to the hat using water then fix the hat in place to the robin’s body.
- Create a beak by taking a very small amount of yellow ready to roll icing and gluing it onto the front of the robin’s body, just above its red breast.
- Finally, add two small dots of white royal icing for eyes.
These robin cake toppers will look so cute and festive on top of a Christmas cake or even on individual cupcakes.
Ready to roll icing is such a versatile product, so make the most out of it this Christmas!