Pickle says….Three years ago we were busy planning for biggest sister MiMi to head off to Uni. She had been offered a place in Bristol following her A Level results. Mummy and MiMi had been to visit the campus, but not the accommodation, so had no idea what to expect. Here are some tips from Mummy to help you:
1. Check for financial help, bursaries, grants etc. there is so much help available. Your LEA will be able to help, as some are dependent on where you live.
2. Check for Facebook groups for the university and accommodation. Type in ‘YOUR UNI Freshers 2017’ in a Facebook search , and then another for your accommodation name. You should find the groups. PLEASE be sensible regarding safety – never give out personal info etc. but MiMi connected with a couple of her flat mates before she arrived, which helped with her nerves.
3. I would advise sharing the ‘halls’ or uni student accommodation for the first year – (they mean the same thing!) They are usually flats accommodating around 6 students. If your child has a boy/girlfriend, encourage them to live in different flats so they can each foster new friendships, and to provide support if the unthinkable happens and they split up.
4. Start buying a few non-perishable items now and look our for any special offers. We have a free downloadable printable University Checklist list of essentials for you – you can laminate it, and cross off as you go It is plain and simple, so it won’t use all your printer ink!
5. Buy a nice basket to make a Good Luck hamper – fill it with all the supplies – the basket can then be used as a laundry basket.
6. They will probably be allocated a room number before they arrive. This usually cannot be changed.
7. Must haves that are not included are a full length mirror, a clothes airer, clothes hangers and speakers.
8. You will have to pay a deposit of around £250.
MiMi says ‘Your room will be really bare so take posters, throws, fairy lights etc. to make it homely and cover the walls. (Be careful how you put them up, you cannot mark the walls).’
If you would like the FREE Printable for University Essentials, please just enter your name and email address and it will be sent to you. I promise NO spam and your email addy is just for me.
We hope you find our University FREE checklist and tips helpful. Good Luck!
(Post updated 29 August 2017)