We are lucky that we live in one of the safest postcodes in the UK. Tucked away in a quiet cul-de-sac with lovely neighbours, we love where we live. Wherever you live though, it is really important to protect your home, and we have some great ideas for you.
There are lots of simple things you can do, and some great gadgets that might be worth investing in too. Here are our top ten ways to protect your home:
- Deter any opportunists, make sure windows and doors are always locked – the back door or patio doors too.
- Don’t leave a spare key outside.
- Lock sheds, garages and gates if possible.
- Keep ladders locked in the garage or shed.
- Buy a ‘dummy’ alarm box – you can get them with realistic flashing lights too.
- Add a timer to at least one light in your home. Have it turning on at different times if you are out or away.
- Install some Panasonic security cameras. These clever cameras are easy to put up, and stream live footage in colour to your smart phone or tablet, so you can keep an eye on your property from wherever you are.
- If you go away, ask a neighbour who has more than one car to park on your drive.
- Ask a neighbour to pop in and pick up the post from your doormat, or Royal Mail can hold onto your post for you with their Keep Safe scheme.
- Be careful about updating your social media with status’s about you being out for the day, or being away.
Many tips to protect your home are common sense, you and your neighbours can also look out for each other by keeping an eye out for anything suspicious too. How do you protect your home?