Mummy says….’At this time of year, it is very easy to get stressed – well worry not, we have five fab ways to enjoy Christmas:
1. Count your blessings. It is easy to get swept up in what ‘everyone else’ seems to have or be getting, or where they are going. Stop and look at what you have. Every day, jot down three things that you have. Family, good health, a home, enough food, clean clothes etc.
2. Following on from this, be grateful. Give thanks every day for what you have. Simple things such as instead of moaning that your car is old and a bit cranky, give thanks that you HAVE a car.
3. STOP! And breathe! Take a few moments to just focus on this moment. Use all your senses RIGHT NOW to experience this very moment. This really helps if you are feeling a little over whelmed or panicked. And you can do it anywhere.
4. Similar to the last point, Stop and take a nice slow breath in, counting to 7. Exhale slowly, counting to 11. I used to recommend this 7/11 breathing technique to my counselling clients. You can use the counts of 5/7 if it is easier for you.
5. Focus on only what you are doing now. Thinking ahead of all that you have to do can seem almost too much at times. By just focusing on the job in hand, you will feel more satisfied when it is complete, and can then move on to the next job.
These five fab ways to enjoy Christmas can be applied to any time of year, and used in any situation too. Whether you are out shopping, waiting in the car at traffic lights or working at home, you will feel calmer and better able to cope if you use any of these techniques.
What do you do when it all gets a bit much?’