My family have visited Menorca several times, and I went last year for my first holiday abroad. Also part of the Balearic Islands, we have never been to Majorca, but if you’re looking for a relaxed, holistic holiday this year, choosing to stay on one of these beautiful islands, just a couple of hours flight from the UK, may be the perfect choice. Mummy is a Holistic Therapist and dreams of this type of holiday (taking Nana and Grandad with us to look after us children!) Oh and not including the nudist bit!
The name ‘Balearics’ apparently comes from the Greek word for ‘naked’. It’s said the people who lived on the islands were often nude, thanks to the warm-all-year-round climate. Even though this tradition is not carried out today (thank goodness!), there are many naturist friendly retreats, resorts and beaches, particularly it seems in Majorca. We know of one beach in a resort that Mummy stayed at in Menorca too – not that any of us ever visited (uurrgghhh!)
1.There are many other amazing things to be discovered on these islands. There is a long, culturally rich history dating back to 5000 BC, and the islands are full of fascinating buildings and stunning architecture.
2. Lose yourself in the quaint, rustic side-streets or to be dazzled by the grand Catholic Cathedrals, we bet that you will fall in love with the islands in a way you never thought, as we did with Menorca.
If you are looking for a real hideaway from the traditional beach holiday there are plenty of options. The islands boast lots of healthy lifestyle retreats and classes.
3. Why not get closer to nature practicing yoga on a golden beach next to crystal clear waters, or in the countryside surrounded by breathtaking views and scenery? Did you know you can even practice in a Monastery; so you can fully connect with the peace and quiet that is at the very heart of this ancient Indian practice. There are so many options and intensity levels to choose from, from the occasional class to a full wellness experience.
4. You could also try a spot of tai-chi as the sunsets, enjoy some vibrant, lively drumming around an open fire, or even some meditation in the mountains.
5. Try one of the copious spas and wellness centres for you to relax and pamper yourself in..
But if Yoga and meditative activities aren’t really your style, then don’t worry, the islands are jam packed with lots of other healthy outdoor activities for you to try.
6. From scuba diving and snorkelling to biking and hiking, why not try one – or more – of these to enjoy to the islands’ unique environment.
7. Why not relax and watch the local wildlife and for bird lovers in particular, the east-side of Majorca is the best place to spot black vulture, and other birds.
It’s not just the activities and the environment that make these islands the perfect holistic destination. The traditional Balearic food is fresh and seasonal. There are lots of exciting food options everywhere you go. Whether you dine out or are so inspired by the fresh, local produce that you cook for yourself, there’s no doubt you’ll find many healthy meal and treat options.
Home from Home
To make your special holistic holiday perfect, how fab to have your own personal villa, with a private pool if you want it. No more sharing the restaurant at breakfast with noisy neighbours, or scrabbling for your place poolside. Nestle yourself in the lush countryside, be closer to the bustling cities, or even just a short walk from your favourite idyllic beach. You can pick the perfect location, and choose a villa whether you’re holidaying as a couple, with family or friends, or even if you would love to make it a trip for one. With options available on all of the islands, you’ll easily find the one that suits your needs.