We have been blogging for almost 14 months now, Mummy decided to make this her main ‘job’ at the beginning of the year. We want to share with you our Ten Blog Essentials. Well, ones we have found that we think are essential anyway!
1. Your own URL or Vanity URL as some call it. Choose the name of your blog, if it is available, or a snappier version. If possible, buy the .co.uk and .com ones.
2. Try and have the same name across all your social media channels. For example, ours are – Twitter – @icklepicklex Instagram –IcklePicklesLifeandTravels, Pinterest – Ickle Pickles Life, Facebook – Ickle Pickle, Linked In – Ickle Pickle, as you can see, we couldn’t get them all to match 100%, but you can easily see the theme.
3. An avatar / badge / photo / image that is the same across all your social media channels, including your blog.
4. An anti spam widget (this is WordPress) like Akismet. Essential for catching all the spam comments, and letting you approve new comments.
5. Share buttons on each page and post. For all your social media channels. Make it easy for your readers to share your posts.
6. Have follow buttons for your blog and all your social media channels near the top of your blog pages – it is so frustrating hunting for them, and readers might give up looking!
7. A diary / planner just for your blog. Note linkys & hosts and when they start, one on your phone or tablet might work for you – Mummy likes a physical planner. (She should really be super organised…..)
8. Your phone camera on you at all times. Even if you have a gorgeous, fancy, big camera, you can’t carry it with you all the time. You might miss the best photo ever!
9. Social media apps on your phone set to send you notifications so you miss nothing! Mummy can get incredibly stressed if she has missed a fab opportunity or notification.
10. A separate email account – just for your blog. Gmail is popular and linked to your Google + account.
Ooooh we have reached ten already! Here are a few more….
11. Separate folders on your laptops for your blog photos – you won’t believe how many you take. Date and name them too.
12. Social Media – A Twitter account, A FB fan page, Instagram, Pinterest, Google +, YouTube. There are lots more, but we are trying to master these first!
What Blog Essentials do you have?